Dienstag, 17. April 2007

A Year in Provence-September


In September the wine season is at its peak. The grapes are picked and after fermentation they are transformed into wine.

Mayle's descripiton of this process had such a mesmerising effect on me that I decided I ought to lea
rn more about the delicate process of winemaking. Here is were my thirst for knowledge was satisfied:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winemaking

What amazed me about this article was just how multifarious the process of winemaking is and how diversified the terms are that are used amongst winegrowers when referring to their bread and butter. Anyhow, I gained a new insight that just might come in handy in the future.

Another event that marked Mayle's September in Provence was the start of the hunting season. I will not be dragged into a discussion about whether hunting should be abolished or not, but let me just say that it certainly isn't a humane pastime in my eyes.

Mayle, akin to myself, came to the conclusion that hunting isn't his cup of tea. Due to this realisation, he sensed that he would never be a countryman through and through.

p.s. From this entry on there will be no vocabulary quizes anymore as all the words I came across were quite familiar to me.

Keine Kommentare: