Donnerstag, 26. April 2007

writing

This week we received back our homework from Ms Welland and had a look at the most typical mistakes we had made.

Doing this was for me the best exercise in what seems like an eternity because your writing can enormously benefit from it. If you become increasingly aware of your mistakes, you are bound not to make them anymore.

Anyway, I wish to feature here exactly the mistakes Ms Welland pointed out to us, so I also have an online version of them.

1. Commas

Under no circumstance should you use a comma in these sentences:

I have to say that……. Subject+ object

Another thing which I liked………… (defining clause- can I leave the which out?)

What I liked about it was………

One organisation which I liked was………..(One organisation I liked was……..)

I think everybody- subject, verb, object

The most interesting thing I discovered was………..

Due to the fact that...........(defining clause)

2. Tenses

I had never thought about volunteering projects before.

It was fun to see what organizations we’d have if we worked abroad.

Not only did I learn, but I also…… (negative adverbial; inversion)


3. Vocabulary

Possibility: used-slight possibility of rain

Possibility I’ll come

Not used: There are so many possibilities to volunteer. (opportunities, ways, options etc)

Offer: used-The shop has a great offer on men’s jeans this month.

I’ve had a good offer on the car.

A special offer

Not used: There’s a great offer of voluntary jobs. (variety, selection, wide range)

Keine Kommentare: