Freitag, 20. April 2007

speaking

Here I am again reporting on my adventures during my weekly visits to the "Prince Charles" pub.

This Thursday only Sabina and I made our way there as the others were incapable of joining us for one reason or the other. What glee they missed.

To be frank, I don't know when I last roared with laughter so much. The person to "blame" is an Italian guy with his rudimentary knowledge of English. This was particularly noticeable when he tried to explain the Italian body language in English. Some of his word creations were so hilarious that the rest of us were in stitches.

All joking aside, I must admit that the example of this Italian guy proved me right in my belief that one has not only to learn a foreign language thoroughly, but also to know about the culture that language is part of. What was very comical to us could have been seen as offensive comments by someone else.

Keine Kommentare: