Mittwoch, 18. April 2007

Ireland from a Polish perspective

Finally, I'm back again reporting about Krystian and his adventures on the Emerald Isle.

This time while reading his entries I came across magnificently beautiful pictures of Cork he took during a visit. To see them was very significant for me as this has been my first opportunity so far to catch sight of the places Monagan wrote about in his book. Although each picture has something larger than life about it, my all-time favourite can only be this one:

He continued his journey of discovery by visting the Killarney National Park in south-west Ireland. The pictures he made there just go once again to show what a charming country Ireland is. My best-loved picture of the Park is this one:

If you by any chance are keen on informing yourself about the Killarney National Park, which is, by the way, Ireland's oldest national park, visit:
http://homepage.eircom.net/~knp/intro/index.htm

Krystian also wrote about more disturbing issues in the entries I've looked through, where he voiced his fear of new religious clashes in Northern Ireland due to the Polish community increasing. Why is that?

Simply because the Polish are Catholics and the more of them settle down in Northern Ireland, the more will the Northern Irish Catholic community grow. As this topic intrigued me, I surfed the net and came across this page which broaches the same issue as Krystian:
http://www.radio.cz/en/article/72885

Basically, the article says that Northern Ireland has never really had a history of immigration due to the troubles and because of that fact certain groups don't wish to treat foreigners with respect. On the contrary, they abuse them and use them as scapegoats. What is important to note is that this whole issue hasn't its root in religious hatred, but in the xenophobic mistrust towards foreigners.

I just hope that this xenophobic mistrust won't escalate.

1 Kommentar:

MacKozer hat gesagt…

Zdravo & hvala! :)
Drago mi je