Montag, 23. April 2007

Almost French


Today Slavica lent me "Almost French" by Sarah Turnbull to read as my third book about an English-speaking person trying her luck abroad.

Before starting to read the book, I went to amazon.com and looked at some reviews about the book, so that I would be able to see what the others think about it.

All in all, I can say that I was taken aback by the myriad of negative reviews there are about the book. Many readers say that they were only mildly impressed by the book at best, or that they hated it at worst. The reasons listed for such an opinion are:

- the genre of the book is not defined (it is not exactly a romance book, nor it is a characteristic travel book)
-the characters are only sketchily portrayed
-the book is full of the self-indulgencies of Turnbull, who many readers believe behaved like a spoilt brat throughout the book

The positive reviews state that the book is :

-humorous and informative
-very light-hearted and fast to read despite being 304 pages long
-a mine of information on cultural differences and clashes

Keine Kommentare: