Montag, 30. April 2007

life with a French man


In the last entries I've read by Kim she was talking about the shopping frenzy surrounding Christmas and what she wrote made me rethink my feelings about one of the most important holidays of the year.

It didn't take me long to realise that for most people today Christmas has boiled down to shopping sprees and the greed of receiving gifts, casting a shadow over its spiritual aspects. It has turned into a holiday which celebrates the Gods of money and shopping and where people go to considerable lengths to buy the best present for their near and dear.

I, however, mainly because of my family's economic situation, haven't become a victim of the Christmas shopping disease. Nor, if I had the cash necessary, would I wish to fall prey to such a trend.

For me Christmas has a much deeper meaning than for most consume-oriented people. It is all about the Christmas spirit namely the celebration of goodwill, compassion, and about spending quality time with my loved ones. During Christmas time, when we celebrate the birth of Jesus, I'm catapulted to my childhood because of the smells that waft through the kitchen, the hand-made gifts and the Christmas carolls which are a must in my family.

Thanks God, while surfing the net, I came across many sites where my like-minded write about some aspects of the "real" Christmas spirit, like this two:

http://www.shawneedispatch.com/section/opinion/story/3690
http://www.soon.org.uk/christmas.htm

I hope that you all have similar feelings about Christmas and that when December the 25th comes again, you won't be to busy shopping to forget what Christmas is all about.


Keine Kommentare: