Sonntag, 8. April 2007

listening






Since I came home I have been experiencing what can only be called a very lucky time. Not only have I gone on several outings in the car in the sublime weather we are having, but I have also been having the chance to listen daily to English thanks to the mystery series "Murder, she wrote".


Maybe you have heard of this series, but in case you haven't let me give you a short synopsis:

All the stories evolve around Jessica Fletcher (played by the fantastic Angela Lansbury), a former English teacher turned into a renowned mystery writer and amateur detective, who is followed by murder every step of her way. Jessica is sometimes assisted by her friend Dr. Seth Hazlitt or the local sheriff, Amos Tupper (later Sheriff Metzger) in revealing the identity of the murderer.


Despite the series having been filmed in the 1980s and the fact that I don't have a hard time guessing who the murderer is, it is still suspensful to watch. Plus, I'm doing something good for my English.
If you wish to read more about the longest drama series ever to be aired on television (1984-1996), visit:
Before the final curtain closes, here is some vocabulary for you:
hit -and -run- describes a road accident in which the driver who caused the accident drives away without helping the other people involved and without telling the police:a hit-and-run driver/accident

up/down your alley (US English)-to be the type of thing that you are interested in or that you enjoy doing:Kate loves dancing, so salsa lessons would be right up her alley. British English-cup of tea

lie through your teeth-informal-to tell someone something which you know is completely false:He asked me how old I was and, lying through my teeth, I said '29'.

call a truce-an agreement to stop fighting or arguing for a period of time:We've got to spend the weekend together, so we might as well call (= have) a truce.



Keine Kommentare: