Dienstag, 20. März 2007

A Year in Provence- February

Before I give you an insight into what I found worth mentioning in the part of "A Year in Provence" I read yesterday, let me offer you something else. Just a few days ago I caught myself thinking about an article I've read a long time ago about the alleged animosity between England and France. Reading a book about France at the moment, I wanted to get at the bottom of things and I stumbled across this pearl of an online article-

http://www.guardian.co.uk/france/story/0,,1185788,00.html#article_continue

Anyway, let me cast my mind back to the book. What absorbs in this chapter is Mayle's portrayal of damned funny situations. (locals trying to find their way round in ankle-deep snow, buying bread becoming an Arctic expedition etc)

Another point that is worth considering is how to get politely rid of so-called friends wanting to visit you now that you live in France. Mayle tried to intimidate them by saying that the dog has rabies, but the result wasn't fruitful.

What would you suggest? How do you get rid of so-called friends wanting to save money by visting you? I simply don't grasp how they weren't intimidated by the thought of a dog that probably looks like this when he has rabies:



All in all, whilst reading this chapter I was reminded once again that this book can be likened to a long bath-it is therapeutic, but it also makes you hungry. (at least it does make me hungry). There is no reason to panic, though, as the book also advices hungry souls- the best thing would be to browse the pages of the Gault Millau. You don't know what this is. Shame on you. Look it quickly up here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gault_Millau

Before I turn into a talking catalogue, let me get only one thing more off my chest-You shouldn't read this book if you are looking for a book stuffed with action.

Keine Kommentare: