Samstag, 17. März 2007

speaking


Yesterday a dear Swiss friend of mine called me and we spoke in English throughout our one hour and something conversation. This was so because I wrote to her with the request to tell me how she felt as an expat living in Australia for a year.

Not even in my wildest dreams did I imagine that she would actually call me and convey all her feelings to me in English. Must admit, however, that it was an
exciting experience.

Here is the transciption of her very answer:

As soon as (Martina is, by the way, her name) I landed on the Australian ground I felt welcomed. Australians are warm-hearted, outgoing and down-to-earth. Seeing that you come from a foreign country, they approach you and ask about your country. Many of the people who interogated me about Switzerland had Europan roots and just wanted to know what was going on in "good old Europe". Sometimes, the people I met have been in Australia since their born days and therefore wanted to find out as much as possible about the rest of the world.

What stood out in my mind was how remarkably cosmopolitan Australia is. You won't stand out from the crowd no matter if you are tall/short, with creamy white or chocolate brown skin as people from all around the globe call Australia their home.Nevertheless, that there isn't much racism is amazing.

The village community is much more approchable and friendly compared to the cities. This is so because many people from villages live remotely.


What is time-consuming if you go there is the process to receive a work and stay permit.

To put it in a nutshell- if you behave yourself, show a keen interest in the country and are an extroverted person, you will have the time of your life down under.




Keine Kommentare: