Samstag, 10. März 2007

Chapter 1 and 2


Let me start by telling you that the picture on the left shows the town centre of Cork on a not so sunny day. (the usual weather in Ireland)

Before I give you a summary of what I've read this week from "Jaywalking with the Irish" let me tell you where you can find information about David Monagan and the book in general and about cultural references in the book-
David Monagan and the book-

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/pressroom/news/press_release.cfm?press_release_id=146

and for cultural references from the book look at wikipedia (it is really a mine of information about Cork, the Celtic Tiger etc; of course I had to check some things elsewhere, but I would recommend it as a starting point)

So far I've read the first two chapters (till page 35) and let me first say that I find Monagan's writing style absolutely riveting. He not only depicts the country in a thorough fashion, but he also manages to be funny in all the right places. I must also say that by mixing past and present experiences in the book (in other words, by not writing chronologically) he makes the book even more captivating for an armchair traveller to read.

Now, as for the two chapters, they fundamentally describe the families move+the reasons for moving as well as the meetings with the new neighbours etc Apropos of neighbours, for me it was hilarious to read how they pick their nose in other's businesses as in my hometown the situation is exactly the same. As Monagan says-"new information is treasured like pearls from an oyster."

Their reasons for moving are, in my opinion, well-known to most people-they were sick of their programmed lives and the antisocial American society( this is the case in Croatia too-the more affluent a country gets, the more isolated are its inhabitants);they felt like they were burried alive. Ireland was for them like an escapist's paradise, but David is now asking himself if their vision of Ireland was just a holiday-induced dream and if Ireland isn't getting similar to America too? (huge shopping mals)

Monagan uses a very rich and literary language, so there are many words and phrases in the book which, as indescribably beautiful as they are, I have decided not to learn. Here are 4 pieces of vocabulary I think it is worthwhile learning (my excuses if you already know what they mean):
jaywalk/jaywalker/jaywalking (a metaphorical meaning behind the title)-to walk across the street illegally-You cannot jaywalk over there.
with a vengeance-something is done much more than it is normal-The music started up again with a vengeance.
wind someone up-to deliberately annoy someone-They're only winding you up.
nostalgia/nostalgic/nostalgically-a feeling of pleasure when you think about the past-Some people feel nostalgia for their schooldays.

Keine Kommentare: