Freitag, 23. März 2007

reading

This week my reading material was an article about the fashion superpowers who shape the British wardrobe. The article was featured in the March Marie Claire issue and as I'm very much into fashion (not buying much-the money is too tight for that) it was only natural for me to read it.

However unusual it may sound the stories of fashion designers and their like didn't impress me much. What astounded me was the story of English window dressers.

To begin with, I had no clue whatsoever that such a profession existed. Then I googled and, to my amazement, it is a thriving business. If you wish to be informed about it, check:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene_Moore_(window_dresser)


http://www.amazon.com/Confessions-Window-Dresser-Simon-Doonan/dp/0141003626

Secondly, window-dressing is indescribably hard work. Read just this figures about window-dressing at Selfridges on Oxford street (Marie Claire) and you'll comprehend what I mean:

It takes 45 people one week, working 19 hours a day, to transform the 27 windows at Selfridges. Each window is changed every six weeks.


All of this just so we mortals can indulge in feverish shopping. It's unbelivable!

Keine Kommentare: