Donnerstag, 22. März 2007

life with a French man

Here I am again commenting on the adventures of Kim, Thomas and the kids.

I would like to comment on several of their daily adventures in March 2006.

Firstly, here is some more information on Kim and Thomas as individuals. She is a hairdresser, who has German roots, and advises not always to go to the same hairdresser just because you believe your hairdresser will be offended if you leave her/him. Don't always play on the safe side.
He is an engineer and his family is originally from Spain.

Secondly, I relish in reading Kim's description of the chemistry there is between them. It's just life-affirming to know that true love isn't a mystical concept. On their example you can beautifully see how love creates a bridge between the boundaries of culture. Although they still lived apart then, they saw each other as often as possible.


Thirdly, Thomas spoke about the year he spent in Glasgow on a programme similar to Erasmus. At first, it was hard to get along with his rusty English, but, as time is the best teacher, at the end of his year there, he was almost fluent. This just goes to show once again that you should be intrepid enough to learn everything you set your mind on.

Forthly, thanks to Thomas, I was made to rethink my point of view on stereotypes. He commented on a blog ( unfortunately it cannot be accessed any more) where an American woman constantly whinged about her stay in France and generalised terribly. Thomas' stand on this is that you are free to speak as long as you don't insult others. I couldn't agree more. The key word here is common sense.

Finally, Thomas remembers his grandfather, who died in March some years before. Alas, he couldn't say goodbye in a proper fashion to him before he passed away. As my grandfather has a similarly special place in my heart as Thomas' has in his, my biggest fear is that I too won't be able to say goodbye to him when the time comes. I can see now, every time I'm home, that he is shrivelling a bit more, like a leaf in autumn, and this tears my heart apart.

Isn't life curious. I mean, you read blogs by people who are complete strangers to you and yet you can relate to what someone else reflects on most of the time.

Keine Kommentare: