Freitag, 16. März 2007

nerd's eye view

I've started reading the two blogs that we are all supposed to read and I must admit that they both are first-class reading material when it comes to expat experiences. (even if the English of the Polish guy is very rudimentary)

I've decided that I'll read both blogs from the very beginning. On the one hand, this approach will help me understand the whole context this two keen bloggers are in better. On the other hand, reading anything from the start will also satisfy my congenital penchant for beginning everything in life from the beginning.

Enough of the explanations and let me get down to some serious business:)

On www.nerdseyeview.com I have so far read about her experiences in December 2004 when she landed on Austrain ground to be with her husband in the picture-postcard village of Aigen:





In the prevailing number of entries she depicts the liveliness of Austrain local traditions, especially around Christmas. What I was delighted most about was how she retold through pictures and words how carneval is celebrated in Aigen. The reason I was so pleased about it is that I myslef come from a part of Croatia were carneval is a local tradition. Unlike the carneval in Aigen, we celebrate our in February and we certainly don't have such "horrendous" masks like this one:




Exceptional as though her descriptions of local festivites might be, I started to like Pam even more when I read between the lines of her entries and realised that she views herself as a citizen of the world ( very anti-racists view etc) and thus becomes one with the culture everywhere she goes and probably meticulously researchers all her entries.


She is also blatantly honest about her political views and in this entries she ruminates about the stigma the American passport nowadays seems to have. She is not sure if she should accept the alternate citizenship, but maybe she will have to when she takes into consideration that the situation in the USA is catastrophic both economically- and politically-wise.


Her writing style is really witty and charming, but it is certainly partly due to the fact that she does freelance writing. Her hobbies are also peculiar-she relishes the joys of snowshoes.

Oh, and before I forget, I have found an interview with her on http://www.travel-rants.com/2007/01/22/interview-with-pam-mandel-nerdseyeview/
which is certainly worth a read.

Keine Kommentare: