Samstag, 10. März 2007

listening


All the listening I did this week comes from www.breakingnewsenglish.com- which is a perfect Internet address because you can improve your listening skills, learn new vocabulary and practice speaking all in one.

The current event I listened to (I must admit it was just one) is named "School leaving age set to rise to 18" (we also had to write an editorial about it in Rebecca's class last semester):

I found three new pieces of vocabulary I wish to learn and also to share with you-
knock-on effect-a situation that indirectly causes another-If the two trains run late, it has a knock-on effect on the entire rail service.
lament-express sadness and regret about something -noun (lamentation)-The poem opens by lamenting (over) the death of a young man.
concur-(formal)-agree with someone or have the same opinion as someone else -noun (concurrence)

Apart from being beneficial vocabulary-wise, listening is crucial for me in that I can here the fluent British talk as I hold I still speak a bit like a robot. So my goal is to speak really fluently, like when a river flows and just by listening and repeating what I've heard I believe I'm nearer the realisation of my goal.

Keine Kommentare: