Samstag, 24. März 2007

the event


Yesterday was I night the memory of which I'll carry on as long as I live.

After a pretty exhaustive week was behind us, Pia, Ivana, Tina and I were contemplating our plans for the weekend. It was hight time to come away of all work and no play. Speed frending at the Office Pub seemed as a great way to honour our pledge.

So, we made our way there while the sky was crying down on the city and our heart was beating faster with every step we took. How would it be? Would we want to curl up and die because of something we might say?

In the end, as the Office Pub was gradually filling, we decided to play it by ear. It was probably the best decision we ever took. During the speed frending everyone had about 4 minutes to talk to a person (all in English) and find out as much as you could or wanted about her/him. I immediately hit it off with most people, but so did others and, it seemed to me, that amiability was in the air.

It was only after the event that the causal chatter took off. I got to know people from all around the globe, spoke some Italian again, which I didn't do since time immemorial, and taught even some Croatian. During the rest of the night friendships were cemented, promises made and broken. Some people who come to the Stammtisch were also there and the Office was bursting at seams when the band four roses started to perform.

What to say, they were fantastic and blended Irish folk songs with modern pop and rock ones. The atmosphere and our conversations got really heated.

Some time, in the dead of the night, I returned home, dead on my feet, but exultant because of such a rewarding night. Who would have thought that English could possibly be so much fun?

If only I could have yesterday all over again!

p.s. Here is some educational information from yesterday:

In Britain they say to put the clock forward, which happened tonight.
Boxing Day is called like that because people used to put boxes behind churches on that day, so that the rich could donate something for the poor.

Keine Kommentare: