Dienstag, 20. März 2007

Green living- part 2



Here I'm again with part two of the green living series:


Jeremy is thinking about having two wind turbines installed next to his house. Brian is giving him some advice.


Brian: The first hurdle is getting planning permission.

Jeremy: The neighbours won't mind. They've seen my pictures.

Brian: OK, but the next thing is the noise. The environmental health people will want to know how loud the turbines are when they're up.

Jeremy: I've got all the figures. You'll hardly hear them.

Brian: But you want to be on the safe side. Imagine if you had to take the whole lot down after a few weeks.

Jeremy: I'm serious about it, and I'm going to do it properly. I reckon I can reduce my bills by 40 per cent.

Brian: Well, you'll need a lot of staying power-if you'll excuse the pun.


Explanations: a planning permission is an official agreement that something new can be built or an existing building can be changed.

If you are on the safe side, you take no risks.

the whole lot is a common vague expression. Here it refers to the turbines.

a pun is the humorous use of a word that has two meanings. Here, the pun is power. Jeremy needs "staying power", the energy and determination not to give up on his project. But "power" is also what he wants from his wind turbines.

Keine Kommentare: