Donnerstag, 22. März 2007

speaking


Yesterday Ivana, Tina, Teja and me found ourselves at the Prince Charles pub again. This time around the pub was a true melting pot. There were folks there from England, France, Austria, America, Slovenia, Croatia etc The nations represented were as colourful as the reasons for their citizens to come to Austria-teaching English, Erasmus, broadening your view etc

The great advantage of so many different people concentrated at one place was that we could converse in English, more or less, the whole night through.

Another bonus was that we found out about cultural issues. For instance, that Sant Patrick Day in Ireland is primarily seen as a go-out-and-drink-oozes of alcohol Bank holiday. Or that most foreigners aim at learning the BBC accent. Our little Ivana, though, has already acquired the Queen's accent, like Auburn, the guy from England, said.

As the speaking came and was passed on in waves, I cannot remember everything we talked about as much as I try to cast my mind back. One thing is burnt in my memory, though. It is the astounding command of English Teja, a girl from Slovenia, has. Once she started to speak you could see that she had full power over the words she was using like a tamer over his lion. When I asked her, truly amazed, how this was possible she told me that her father had lived in Texas for a year or so.

The children who have a parent who lived abroad are blessed, to my mind. They have the congenital benefit of being able to learn about two languages and cultures. I should be so lucky.

Keine Kommentare: