Donnerstag, 3. Mai 2007

writing


In this weeks' class Ms Welland called our attention to the fact that the British favour verbs to nouns when writing.

Never having heard of this detail before, I fancied finding out more about it. Such was my luck that I discovered all I wanted to know through my first reference namely the "Spotlight" magazine.

In his column topic for May "English at work" Ken Taylor, a communication consultant from the UK, advanced his opinion about writing in English saying, amongst other things, that one should use verbs when one writes in English.
First of all, by using verbs, you make your writing more reader-friendly. Secondly, many English noun and verb phrases (especially those ending in -ion) are concealed verbs.

So, if you are planning to write something in the future (we certainly are bound to do it), use, for instance, apply for instead of make an application for, or provide instead of make provision.

Keine Kommentare: