Mittwoch, 9. Mai 2007

dating-part 1

In the next weeks I'll be writing about some vocabulary that might come in handy if you ever happen to be going out on a date with a drop-dead gorgeous English person.

1. Do you live by yourself?
(all I'll be writing about is from the May issue of Spotlight)

Tim first met Sandra at a fitness club. One day, he suggests they go out for dinner.

Tim: Do you fancy some wine? A glass of red?

Sandra:I'm still recovering from this morning's workout, so I'll go for water, thanks.

Tim: Good idea. I think I'll do the same.

Sandra: Have you been here before?

Tim: Once or twice-you know, when I can't be bothered to cook.

Sandra: Oh, do you live by yourself?

Tim: No, I share a house with another guy, a friend from uni. And yourself?

Sandra: Sorry?

Tim: Do you live by yourself?

Sandra: No, no. I live with my parents-still.

Tim: What's that like?

Sandra: Well, I'd like to move out, but it's easier said than done.

Explanations:

Do you fancy.... used to ask people what they'd like:
Do you fancy going to the cinema tonight?

To go for something
has the meaning of to choose. It is often used when selecting food or drink from a menu:
I think I'll go for the lamb.

If you can't be bothered to do something, you don't want to spend neither time nor energy on it.

Instead of I live by myself, you can say I live on my own or I live alone.











Keine Kommentare: