Donnerstag, 3. Mai 2007

speaking


This Thursday Sabina, Pia and me ventured to the Stammtisch at the Prince Charles pub once again. Not in my wildest dreams could I have imagined that there would be so many native English speakers there this time around.

There were Rosie, Jim, and another woman and man from England whose names are on the tip of my tongue, but I cannot remember them just now. Anyway, there were also people from America and one guy form Sydney. All in all, it was a very multi-faceted Stammtisch.

Most of the topics we talked about were attention-grabbing and as the night progressed, the conversations were getting more and more animated and everyone was buoyed up by them.


What nonplussed me most was my talk with Jim, an English engineer, about the tuition fee debts he still has to pay off although he finished university some time ago. Although I had had some vague notion about tuition fee debts in the UK before talking to him, I had never thought that the debts are so mammoth. He, for example, still has 4,000 pounds debt left from his loan and in comparison with other people he knows, he finds his situation bearable. While he was talking about it, I was ruminating how I would feel if I would be in his shoes.

I believe that I would be beaten into submission when thinking about how much I still needed to settle. Still, as today you should go to university if you're aiming to be a high-flier, for the British this tuition thing is just a normal problem they cope with as with any other.

Naturally, after our talk, back in my cosy home, I went online and here is what I found about tuition fees in the UK:

http://www.universitiesuk.ac.uk/paymentbydegrees/tuition_fees.asp
(general information about tuition fees)




Keine Kommentare: