Dienstag, 8. Mai 2007

Almost French (pages 222-248)- home is were the heart is


On this pages Turnbull was, amongst other things, contemplating about what she misses about Australia while living in France.

Stimulated by what she wrote, I began pondering about what I miss about Croatia while living in Graz.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a passionate traveller who loves to immerse herself in different cultures and I would have no problem whatsoever to emigrate, but there are times (mostly while lying in my bed a bit under the weather) when I start to review the vibrant untainted memories I have of my home country and think about what I miss.

First and foremost, when I'm in Graz for an extended period, I long to see my much-loved mother and grandparents (I hope they'll live to a ripe old age) who are my first port of call whenever I'm in a jam.

The second thing I pine for is the sea which I'm enamored with both when it is perfectly calm and when there are rough seas and winds are buffeting the coast. It is just the most phenomenal sensation to know that as I live a few yards from the sea, I can go there whenever I feel up to, strip my clothes off and revel in the crystal clear water.

The next thing I yearn for while in Graz is eating saltwater fish (delicious) as our Adriatic Sea is well stocked with fish of all colours and sizes. Or if I happen not to eat it (which is an infrequent occurence), I adore watching schools of fishes swimming in the sea on a clear night with a bright moon.

The next thing I long for has to be the sight of the cherry tree in front of my house (picture on the top of the page). I realise that this might sound rather atypical to you, but I have so many memories attached to that tree. Apart from that, just looking at it helps me to defeat my writer's block.

I think I've now basked long enough in nostalgia, but my burning desire is now to hear what you miss about home if you happen to live in a foreign country.

To read what some other people miss, visit:

http://www.qatarliving.com/node/14163

http://humanities.byu.edu/elc/teacher/teaching_writing/five_p_sample_essay.pdf
( a great link because you can read an essay from a girl about what she misses when she is away from home as well as its second improved version)

Keine Kommentare: